Shaykh Abdurrahim Reasat answers the question if it is permissible for Muslims to open a cyber lounge as a business.

Question:

Peace upon all of you with God’s mercy and blessings.

I am trying to make better decisions in life and improve myself. I recently rented a store with a friend and been thinking about making it a cyber lounge located in California, where people can come and play videos games or surf the internet, repair computers, have some drinks(not alcohol)/snacks and socialize. I understand video gaming can be addicting and cause disconnect from reality if played for long hours, at the same time I think it’s fine to have some entertainment for 2-3 hours a day so video games wouldn’t be harming in that manner and I might be wrong. Another thing is that video games nowadays are turning into a sport, I don’t know what to make of that, those players game as if it’s a regular job, I used to be one of them, nowadays I play a few hours a week for entertainment or don’t play at all.

From my own experience, I definitely see the negatives from gaming for long hours in my self and with others and will not argue with it, at the same time I can see some positives from it. For example, when I used to go to cyber lounges as a kid, I made a lot of friends, we socialized, we started doing outside activities and sports together and plan recreational trips, we prayed together (not extensively but at least we tried), some video games make the brain think like chess players or even better especially strategy games, people play chess and no one says it’s “BAD” and its still considered a game, some video games are similar and could require even more strategic planning than chess because there are a lot more options to think about than chess has so why is chess fine if someone plays it for long hours and no one talks about it?

I want the work that I do in this life to be beneficial for people, the after life, and of course acceptab