Notes by Sister Shagufta Pasta
From the March 31st session.
- The nafs is you. It’s your internal state.
- Hawa is the entity in which the nafs manifests. Hawa is your internal inclinations, your desires.
- True religion is about character, going against yourself.
- The more you pray, the more you’re around good people, the more you do dhikr, the more your desires begin to change. You will always have desires, but the idea is for your desires to confirm to sacred teachings. It’s so important to have environments that cultivate this.
- First need to be able to govern our souls before we can lead anyone else.
- Need to be aware of the politics of the soul.
- Religion is beautiful, but not necessarily easy.
- We have a faculty of anger and a faculty of desire – both relate to caprice.
- While we are in this world, we’re supposed to know Allah in times of hardship and in times of ease. We are supposed to know Him in His Majestic manifestations and in His Beautiful manifestations.
- We should never be embarrassed to ask Allah for anything, no matter how small. Even if it is for salt in the food, if our sandal strap breaks, for whatever it is, big or small, we should ask Allah.
- Whenever we are in need, anytime we need help, we should turn to Allah.
- Know your Lord in a state of prosperity so that He will know you in a state of difficulty.
- Use good times of health to know Allah