“Whoever travels a path to seek knowledge, Allah thereby facilitates for him a path to Paradise.” (Muslim) This course is the first step in your pursuit of religious knowledge. It explains what your religion is, what you must know about it, and how you should learn it. This course is taught according to the Shafi‘i school. If you would like to learn it according to the Hanafi school, take this course instead.
- Start here to complete Level One.
- This course has no prerequisites.
- LESSON 1: Introduction to the Text
- LESSON 2: Explanation of Faith & Beliefs
- LESSON 3: Explanation of Submission & Islamic Jurisprudence
- LESSON 4: The Different Types of Bleeding for Women
- LESSON 5: Conditions, Integrals & Sunnah of the Prayer
- LESSON 6: Inner Dimensions & Nullifiers of the Prayer
- LESSON 7: The Friday Prayer & Supererogatory Prayers
- LESSON 8: Fasting
- LESSON 9: Zakat
- LESSON 10: Hajj & Umrah
- LESSON 11: Purification of the Heart (Part 1)
- LESSON 12: Purification of the Heart (Part 2)
What You Will Learn:
- Memorize the Hadith of Jibreel (upon him be peace)
- Understand how to seek religious knowledge
- Learn the basics of Islamic belief
- Learn the basic rules of wudu, ghusl, and prayer
- Learn the basic rules of fasting and zakat
- Learn how worship Allah Most High with sincerity
- Students are encouraged to get a copy of The Essential of Islam by Ahmad bin Zayn al Habashi, Trans. Abdul Aziz Ahmed, published by Islamic Village (al-Risalat al-Jamiah)
Course Format: 12 downloadable lessons, and a monthly live session.
About the Course Text
The course is a detailed explanation of al-Risala al-Jami ‘ah wa al-Tadhkira al-Nafi‘ah (“The Comprehensive Epistle and Beneficial Reminder”), a concise manual of basic religious knowledge by the great religious scholar and spiritual guide of Hadhramaut, al-Habib Ahmad ibn Zayn al-Habshi (d. 1132 A.H. / 1720 C.E.). For hundreds of years, this book has been taught in traditional institutions of learning all over the world as the first step in students’ religious education. The author was a descendant of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) and a close students of the great sage of Arabia, al-Habib ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Alawi al-Haddad. A downloadable translation of the text is provided as part of the course materials.
“Whoever guides someone to goodness will have a similar reward”– The Prophet (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)