This course covers one of the great works on the “fiqh of taqwa”; how to truly follow the way of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in knowledge, beliefs and operationalizing mindfulness of Allah (taqwa). It looks at the importance of holding fast to the Qur’an and Sunna, avoiding innovations and having moderation in action. It also contains a concise summary of traditional Islamic beliefs and a discussion about how the different sciences are viewed according to the sacred law.
This course provides clarity on key aspects of the religion: the primacy of its sources, how it is lived and how a believer approaches the religion both at a theoretical and practical level. It also provides an excellent introduction to Islamic beliefs from the perspective of the orthodox Sunni mainstream.
- Understand the details of practical spirituality
- Distinguish the overall framework by which Muslims view their religion
- Investigate the formal definitions of the ailments of the heart
- Understand how to identity the causes, cures and obstacles of the ailments of the hearts
- Understand how to access detailed, structured manuals in the Islamic tradition
- Be primed to study the intermediate works of the Hanafi school of law