In this course, you will learn the importance of protecting oneself from a harmful speech before critically examining sixty cases of religiously harmful or dangerous speech, with practical day-to-day applications and references from the Prophet’s own teaching and practice. The course closes with a discussion on positive speech, as exemplified in the conduct of Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace).
- This is an enrichment course in Step One. Before taking this course, we’d recommend taking The Beginning of Guidance (Parts One and Two) or Essentials of Halal and Haram.
Course Requirements: Absolute Essentials of Islam ILAE10 and/or Essentials of Worship (Hanafi)
What You Will Learn:
- The importance of holding one’s tongue
- The issues related to sixty key aspects of holding one’s tongue
- Key hadith encouraging restraining one’s tongue
- How to maintain positive speech
About the Course Text
This course is based on the discussion on “The Pitfalls of the Tongue” from al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya (The Path of Muhammad) a classic manual of Muslim practice by the famed Ottoman scholar Imam Muhammad al-Birgivi. This sacred legal masterpiece focuses on the method and practice of attaining mindfulness (taqwa) through the application of the Qur’an and Sunna. Critically, this work contains extensive discussions of the destructive qualities of the various limbs — the heart, tongue, ears, genitals, eyes, and sins associated from the whole body.
Registration Opens: September 30, 2019
Registration Closes: November 25, 2019
Note: Course material will be available on the first day of classes, October 21, 2019.
Please share this with your family and friends:
“Whoever guides someone to goodness will have a similar reward”– The Prophet (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)