Reliance of the Traveller (Umdat al-Salik) (Level Three) with The Essence of Islamic Legal Theory (Lubb al-Usul) (Level Three) with Shaykh Abdurragmaan Khan
In the Name of Allah, Merciful and Compassionate, with blessings and peace upon our Master Muhammad, his folk, and companions
Shaykh Abdurragmaan Khan, a senior instructor at SeekersGuidance, will be teaching live weekly classes covering two key texts in Shafi’i fiqh and usul over the course of one year:
This one-year Specialization Certificate Program is an Intermediate Program in Shafi’i Fiqh and Usul. It covers Level three of the SeekersGuidance Islamic Studies Curriculum in Shafi’i Fiqh and Usul.
This program will encompass a thorough study of two texts.
- Umdat as-Salik (Reliance of the Traveller) (Level Three of the SeekersGuidance Islamic Studies Curriculum), in full–with readings from the commentary of umda, Fath al-Wahhab al-Malik, and Mahalli’s commentary on the Minhaj, Kanz al-Ragibin, with its Hashiyah by Qalyubi
- Shaykh al-Islam’s Lubb al-Usul (Level Three)–with reference to his own commentary, Gayat al-wusul.
Three live classes per week, 45-60 Minutes each. Students are expected to attend live, or to follow the recordings.
There will be an online forum for questions, discussion, and related texts and resources.
Preparation, participation, and asking questions is expected – as is the following of recommended readings.
Conditions for Joining the Class
This is an intermediate level class in Shafi’i fiqh (Level Three) which adequately prepares a student to study the Minhaj al-Talibin of Imam al-Nawawi. It is therefore essential for students to have completed the study of the following works or their equivalent:
- al-Risalah al-Jami’ah (Habshi’s Encompassing Epistle Explained)
- al-Mukhtasar (Ba Fadl’s The Short Abridgement)
- Abu Shuja’ with experience readings from ibn Qasim’s commentary with its’ Hashiyah by Imam Bajuri
- Safina al-Naja
- Al-Muqaddima Al-Hadramiyya with experience reading from one of its commentaries such as Bushra Al-Karim
As this course encompasses Level Three usul, students are required to have completed a study of the Waraqat of Imam al-Haramayn.
For students without this, we recommend that they begin with Level One, then Level Two of the Islamic Studies Curriculum [link].
Although this class is completely free, students are expected to apply for the course and will need to be approved by the SeekersGuidance Academy team.
Language of Instruction
The Arabic text will be studied with English commentary.
Monday at 12:00 (GMT +2 | Cape Town)
Wednesday at 12:00 (GMT +2 | Cape Town)
Thursday at 12:00 (GMT +2 | Cape Town)
This class will be offered online only via Zoom
The expectations from the students would be to:
i. Prepare for the class.
ii. [a] Attend the class, with attentiveness, [b] participation, [c] asking questions.
iii. Review the class notes and text. Diagramming the text helps.
iv. Take notes. It is best to write out the matn itself, and essentials from the commentary (such as the key details and reasoning). This is also a good Arabic writing practice.
v. Participate in the Class Forum–by asking questions, sharing issues of benefit, and getting involved in the relevant discussions, with the proper manners of a keen seeker of knowledge (talib `ilm).
vi. Seek Allah’s Pleasure, and have high secondary intentions of acting upon what