Abusive In-Laws

Answered by Ustadha Shazia Ahmad Question: Assalamu alaykum My husband and I have been married for 4 years. From the start we both happily agreed to live with his mother in her home as she is alone. However soon after marriage, my mother-in-law’s behaviour changed towards both me and her son. She started interfering in […]

Answered by Shaykh Salman Younas Question: Assalam aleykum Is it permissible to trim (shave) the hair of a sheep you intend to prepare for Qurbani at Eid Ul Azha? In Pakistan the temperatures get too hot during summers, and therefore ticks and insects are a real problem during the rains, and summers, and with dense […]

Praying in a Car

Answered by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat Question: Assalamu alaykum I am a taxi driver and sometimes I don’t find any mosque near to me. Can I pray on the driving seat ? Answer: Wa ‘alaykum assalam. I pray you are well. You should keep a prayer mat and some water to hand in your car, and […]

Ritual Bath and Retainer

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch Question: Assalamu alaykum What is the ruling regarding the validity of ghusl if one has a retainer in their mouth? Answer: In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate It is permissible to keep the retainer in your mouth. Especially if there is direct need in doing so. […]

Insurance and Renting

Answered by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat Question: Assalamu alaykum I own a property which I want to pay a lettings agent to fully manage for me. For 10% of the monthy rental income, they will do the tenant finding, rent collection and handle all dealings with the tenant. Within this “fully managed package” is the option […]

Studying History

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch Question: Assalamu alaykum Is studying the biography of someone considered backbiting (ghibah) if bad qualities of that person are mentioned? Answer: In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate Backbiting Reading and studying about past peoples is not considered backbiting. Backbiting is restricted to the definition given by […]

In Love

Answered by Ustadha Shazia Ahmad Question: Assalamu alaykum I like a man and wish to be his wife but the problem is that he lives abroad and doesn’t know me. My mother knows his mother and my mom is willing to go and talk to his mother. But I am afraid they may reject me […]

Children and Marriage

Answered by Ustadha Shazia Ahmad Question: Assalamu alaykum I am a practicing sister, alhamdulillah and have been wanting to get married for quite some time. SubhanAllah, for various reasons I have not been able to find a suitable partner until now, in my late thirties. Recently, I connected with a person and we speak on […]

Answered by Ustadha Shazia Ahmad Question: Assalamu alaykum If my wife touches my paternal or maternal uncle, does it invalidate his wudu? If I touch her maternal or paternal aunt, does it invalidate her wudu? Answer: Yes, in the Shafi`i school, it does nullify the uncle’s ritual purity in the above case. The same applies […]

Haram Money

Answered by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat Question: Assalamu alaykum If someone lent somebody halal money and the person returns the money from a haram source. Is it okay to accept that money? Answer: Wa ‘alaykum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh. I pray you are well. Yes, you can take the money from them. In general, when […]