Cambridge professor Shaykh Abdul Hakim Murad, an expert on Islamic education discusses the idea of intellect and its connection to religious thinking.
What is a good Islamic education? Is religion a series of beliefs simply memorized and passed down from generation to generation? Is it a Scripture and doctrine that is pliable and can be molded to our intellect and desires? What role does reasoning and intellect play in our religious practices? What role does practices and tradition play in our religious reasoning?
Resources for Seekers
- “What happened to Ahmad?”: Responding to Muslim Youth at Risk
- Al-Attas’ Concept of Ta’dib as True and Comprehensive Education in Islam
- Ibn Khaldun on the instruction of children and its different methods
- Video Documentary: Race to Nowhere Screening by Kinza Academy with Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
- 200 Prisoners Eager to Learn Sacred Knowledge
- What Do I Do When My Parent Forces Me to Cheat?