When Imam Zaid Shakir first became Muslim, he was a massive jazz fan. It was all he listened to.
“No one ever told me music was haram,” he says. “No one threatened to lynch me or burn me in a pile of melting LPs.”
So how did he give it all up? Find out in this brief video, courtesy of Al Madina Institute.
Resources for seekers
- Differences of Opinion & Determining Sound Scholarship
- Listening to Islamic Songs with Musical Instruments
- The Definition of Haram and How the Haram is Determined
- Getting Rid of Fictional Books, Movies and Music
- Qasida Unplugged with Nader Khan + Interview
Cover photo by Alan Eng.