Question: I have been having reoccurring nightmares. They’re very vivid and very scary. Usually involving my family. I wake up every morning drained from our frightening and stressful dreams were. I’m not sure how I can help stop these bad dreams.
Answer: In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate
I am sorry to hear of your difficulty and pray to Allah Most High that He gives you ease.
There are some sunna practices that you should apply before going to bed.
(1) Try to always sleep in the state of wudhu, when possible.
(2) Recite the last three suras of the Qur’an, blow into your hands, and wipe as much as possible of your body. Do this three times.
(3) Recite ayat al-Kursi, verse (2:255) and the last two verses of Sura al-Baqara
(4) Try to sleep facing the Qibla, preferably laying on your right side.
(5) Recite what you can of the following Prophetic supplications:
In Your name my Lord, I lie down and in Your name, I rise, so if You should take my soul then have mercy upon it, and if You should return my soul then protect it in the manner You do so with Your righteous servants. [Bukhari and Muslim]
Praise be to Allah Who has brought me to life after He made me die and to Him is the gathering.” [al-Bukhari]
You will find this and more in the attached link. The above is a short summary of the attached link:
Hope this helps
[Shaykh] Yusuf Weltch
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
Shaykh Yusuf Weltch is a graduate from Tarim; a student of Habib Umar and other luminaries; and authorized teachers of the Qur’an and the Islamic sciences.