Habib Umar bin Hafiz relates advice on what one should intend while traveling and the spiritual dimensions thereof, from Habib `Ali al-Habashi, Allah have mercy on them and benefit us through them.
Habib `Ali says: In reality, to travel is to leave behind one’s base nature in order to attain lofty stations in the proximity of Allah.
He then calls us to act on the hadith of the Prophet ﷺ:
سَافِروا تَصِحُّوا سَافِروا تُرْزَقُوا
“Travel and you will be blessed with good health. Travel and you will be provided for.”
5 Intentions for Traveling
1. We should intend by traveling obeying the command of the Messenger of Allah to travel.
2. We should then intend to seek provision. Not merely material provision, but also spiritual provision – knowledge, guidance and light – which distinguishes man from animals.
3. We should seek good health for our bodies. But more importantly we should seek to be healed from attachment to this world and other diseases of the heart.
4. We should also intend to visit the pious in the place to which we are traveling and to seek their blessings (baraka). In every town there is a group of the people of truth who protect that town.
5. We should intend to call people to Allah (da`wa), to benefit people with what knowledge we possess, and to teach the ignorant. Seeking in all of this the pleasure of Allah.
A Traveler’s Prayer
Habib `Ali recommended that on repeat this prayer often, especially when one is traveling:
اللهُمَّ إنِّي في قَبْضَتِكَ حَيْثُما كُنْتُ فَلاحِظْني بِعَيْنِ عِنَايَتِكَ حَيْثُما كُنْتُ
“O Allah, I am in Your complete control wherever I am, so bless me with Your complete care wherever I am.”
This piece was originally published by Muwasala, on January 30, 2016.