Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, the Executive Director of SeekersHub and Educational Director of SeekersGuidance was invited to deliver the Friday Prayers Sermon on October 28, 2011 at St. James Park – the site of the Occupy Toronto movement.
The following is taken from the closing remarks of the sermon:
Seven Counsels in Closing:
1. Be steadfastly committed to justice and excellence in your own life: fulfill the rights of God and God’s creation, with sincerity, concern, and excellence of character.
2. Be particularly careful about the rights of your parents, spouse/partner, children–then family, friends, neighbours, and community–then those wronged (whoever/whatever).
3. Ignore mass media: focus on becoming an informed citizen–so that you can seek, spread, and safeguard justice and excellence–the beautiful balance.
4. Money matters: look carefully at how you spend your money… make ethical, informed choices–promoting justice and excellence…
5. Time matters: don’t become a mere consumer… consuming products and entertainment and infotainment. “Two blessings many lose out on: health and free time.” – Spend your time in seeking justice and excellence… family, friends, neighborhood, society….
6. Your life matters: don’t just be a slave in the corporate jungle… seek to make your work a promotion of justice & excellence; work of benefit and meaning. Work with purpose. Relate with purpose. From our tradition: working on one’s own terms…
7. Do this for God; do this seeking Mercy; do this out of sincere concern….
What do we seek? Balance of Justice (`adl) and Excellence (ihsan). That is what makes life beautiful.
And indeed God is Beautiful, and loves Beauty.