Muharram: The Islamic Calendar’s January | A Reader
The new Islamic year is almost upon us and although setting New Year’s Resolutions based on the Islamic calendar isn’t a common practice, there are a few things we should do; reflect over the previous year and take a moment to assess our accomplishments, and think about how we can make the next Islamic year better.
The first month of the Islamic calendar is Muharram; a very special month in Islam. Not only does it mark the start of a new year but it is from what Allah deems “the sacred months”.
God decrees that there are twelve months- ordained in God’s Book on the Day when He created the heavens and earth- four months of which are sacred: this is the correct calculation. Do not wrong your souls in these months- though you may fight the idolaters at any time, if they first fight you- remember that God is with those who are mindful of Him. (9:36)
In this reader, we have compiled for our valued readers most of our articles, questions, videos, and audio segments related to this blessed month.
Bidding Farewell to this Year and Welcoming a New Year – Muwasala
- How should we end the year and how should we start the upcoming one?
- “At the end of the financial year businessmen analyse their year’s trading, but our trade is with Allah and is more worthy of being evaluated. “
Muharram: Mankind’s Memorial – Shaykh Faid Mohammed Said
- Shaykh Faid Mohammed Said explains why Muharram, the first in the Islamic calendar, is an especially auspicious month on many levels.
Sacred Months by Shaykh Faid Mohammed Said
- An article highlighting the virtue of fasting in these sacred months amongst other things.
Can I Purchase Household Accessories in Muharram?
- Clearing up some misconceptions
Is it Forbidden to Buy New Clothes During Muharram?
- Clearing up some more misconceptions
Fiqh of The Islamic Month of Muharram
- A detailed reply to a question posed to Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, “What is the fiqh of the Islamic month of Muharram?”
Can I Combine My Intentions for a Missed Ramadan Fast and An Optional Sunnah Fast?
- If you’ve decided to fast some days this month but have fasts you still have to make up from Ramadan, can you combine them?
Muharram: An Opportunity to Transcend Hypocrisy
- Dr Yusuf Patel discusses the importance of transcending the recurrent partisan and divisive issues of Muharram, and rather focus on following the universal values that Prophet Musa (peace be upon him), Imam Hussain (Allah be pleased with him) and other great personalities stood for.
Muharram & New Beginnings, by Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad
- A Friday sermon delivered by the Shaykh regarding the concept of shahada, commonly translated as “martyrdom.” The term in reality, goes much deeper than its’ simple translation.