Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question: Is it permitted to buy and sell duplicate items on ebay. For example, I am planning on buying a few items that bear a company trademark (Apple, for example), but they are in fact counterfeit items made by another company.  Am I allowed to sell such things on ebay if I don’t claim they are original and I sell them as is?

Answer: Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

Selling an item–even “as-is” with a fake company label is considered deception (khiyana), and is a major sin–as well as being unlawful by law, and against eBay’s own terms (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html).

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever cheats is not of us.” And he said (peace and blessings be upon him), “There is no faith in one who isn’t trustworthy.”

The believer, instead, is true and trustworthy–two of the distinctive qualities of the Beloved Messenger of Allah (peace & blessings be upon him & his folk). The believer also follows the law of the land, and the terms of all agreements.

Allah Most High says, “Believers! Fulfill all contracts.” [Qur’an, 5.1]

wassalam, Faraz Rabbani

Executive Director, SeekersGuidance & SeekersHub Toronto