Can My Father Keep Money the Government Gives Me?

Answered by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat


I get a certain amount of money from the government which all is transferred to my father’s account. He transfers most of the money to my account. He keeps the remaining money and says that he will sponsor me (monetarily and otherwise) in my studies, if he keeps it. Otherwise, he says that he will not give me any money.

Is the above permissible? Unfortunately, I did not see, that this could be a transaction, and accepted it. Should I revoke it?


I pray you are well.

The default ruling in the Hanafi school is that everyone’s financial expenses come from their own money, if they have any – with a man’s wife being the only exception. The husband is obliged to provide for her. (Maydani, Lubab)

If your father keeps the remaining money because he spends on your living costs then he is allowed to do so, based on the principle. If he does not spend anything on your living costs then you are entitled to all of your money.

You should navigate the matter with delicacy.  On  one hand, you may be entitled to the remaining money, but on the other, harming your relationship with your father is a serious matter. It’s best to discuss the matter with him, and if he is spending on you, don’t contest it.

May Allah facilitate all matters for you.
[Shaykh]Abdul-Rahim Reasat

Checked and approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat began his studies in Arabic Grammar and Morphology in 2005. After graduating with a degree in English and History he moved to Damascus in 2007 where, for 18 months, he studied with many erudite scholars. In late 2008 he moved to Amman, Jordan, where he continued his studies for the next six years in Sacred Law (fiqh), legal theory (Usul al-fiqh), theology, hadith methodology, hadith commentary, and Logic. He was also given licenses of mastery in the science of Quranic recital and he was able to study an extensive curriculum of Quranic sciences, tafsir, Arabic grammar, and Arabic eloquence.