Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question: Can one leave one’s wife and kids for an extended period of time to study Islam abroad? What if the wife agrees?

Answer: In the name of Allah, Most Merciful.

Generally, it is not proper to leave one’s wife and go and study for an extended period of time, even if she initially agrees. It is likely to cause undue tensions, and place emotional strains on the marital relationship. It is also not healthy for the children to grow up separated from their father for an extended amount of time.

Rather, it would be best to travel with one’s family to seek knowledge.

And Allah knows best.

Faraz Rabbani

Please share this with your family and friends:

"Whoever guides someone to goodness will have a similar reward"-- The Prophet (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)