If My Workplace Overpaid Me, Do I Give It as Zakat?

Hanafi Fiqh

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani


If my workplace overpaid me, do I give it as zakat?

If your workplace has overpaid you, it is not permissible to include the extra amount in the zakat you give. In such a situation, you must inform your employer about the error and return the excess payment.

Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, a distinguished scholar in the Islamic sciences, is the Founder and Executive Director of SeekersGuidance. He studied under renowned scholars globally for ten years, beginning in Damascus and continuing in Amman, Jordan. Notable mentors include Shaykh Adib al-Kallas and Shaykh Hassan al-Hindi. After completing his studies, Shaykh Faraz returned to Canada in 2007 and established SeekersGuidance, dedicated to spreading reliable, relevant, and inspiring Islamic knowledge online and on the ground.