Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question: If an obligatory prayer is considerably delayed to an extent that upon completing the prayer (or in the final rak’aa), the time for the next prayer arrives, is the former prayer accepted as being prayed on time? In other words, when one commences the delayed prayer, he is on time (i.e. with 3 or 4 minutes left before the next salah) but when the prayer is finished, the next salah time has already arrived (e.g. in the 4th rak’aa of Asr prayer, the time of maghrib has commenced), is his Asr prayer considered “on time”? or is it a “make up prayer”? I know praying on time is important, but what if a person experiences the above situation (like I did) for the 1st time in my life?

Answer: Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

It is obligatory to begin and end each obligatory prayer within its time. However, only Fajr is invalidated by the exiting of its time. Asr, Maghrib, and Isha prayers are  sinful to delay to their disliked time without genuine excuse.

The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said that “Prayer at its time,” is the best of actions after belief (iman) itself, so one should take the means to perform it at the right time.

And Allah alone gives success.

wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani

Related answers:

Riyad al-Salihin: On the Virtues of Prayer

Prayer: It is Disliked to pray the Sunna of Wudu & Other Non-Obligatory Prayers During These Times

Prayer: Cannot Pray the Sunna of Wudu During the Disliked Times

It is Disliked to Pray the Sunna of Wudu & Other Non-Obligatory Prayers During the Disliked

Greeting the Mosque During Disliked Times

Prayer at adhan time and leaving the masjid after the adhan

Prostration of Recitation During Disliked Prayer Times

Make ups in disliked times

Please share this with your family and friends:

"Whoever guides someone to goodness will have a similar reward"-- The Prophet (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)