I Abused Someone. How Do I Forgive Myself and Move On?

Answered by Shaykh Jamir Meah

Question: Assalamu alaykum

Recently while praying in a mildly dark room, a small red circle appeared in my vision. Because it helped me focus better, I focused my vision on the light. Was this an acceptable thing to do?

Answer: Wa’alaykum assalam. Thank you for your question.

The general ruling is that it is recommend for one to fix their gaze upon the place of prostration during prayer, as it is closer to humbleness and humility (khushu’). It is disliked to look or fix one’s gaze elsewhere, unless for a need or if it increases one’s concentration and khushu’. [Mughni al Muhtaj]

As such, there is nothing objectionable in of itself to what you did, so long as your thoughts were directed towards Allah Most High, reflecting on your recital, and not distracted by the light.

However, if you found that you attached some meaning or importance to the light, even unintentionally, then you should avoid it.

And Allah knows best.

Warmest salams,
[Shaykh] Jamir Meah

Shaykh Jamir Meah grew up in Hampstead, London. In 2007, he traveled to Tarim, Yemen, where he spent nine years studying the Islamic sciences on a one-to-one basis under the foremost scholars of the Ribaat, Tarim, with a main specialization and focus on Shafi’i fiqh. In early 2016, he moved to Amman, Jordan, where he continues advanced studies in a range of Islamic sciences, as well as teaching. Jamir is a qualified homeopath.

Please share this with your family and friends:

"Whoever guides someone to goodness will have a similar reward"-- The Prophet (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him)