Answered by Mawlana Ilyas Patel
I fear making mistakes or getting lost in my path to seek knowledge.
How can I avoid making mistakes or even find encouragement and high aspirations along my journey of seeking knowledge?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate.
I pray you are in good faith and health. Thank you for your question.
The most important thing for you is to seek knowledge through seeking help and guidance from Allah Most High, always turning to Him every moment of your time and not relying on your action. One of the signs of relying upon one’s actions is the loss of hope when a slip occurs, as mentioned by Ibn ‘Ata’ Allah in his aphorisms.
Below are a few points and many other valuable links and answers by our inspiring teachers.
- It is essential for you to seek guidance from Allah Most High, foremost, praying two rak‘ats of istikhara and need and renewing your intentions;
- Seek knowledge from reliable local scholars who are teaching knowledge face-to-face in your locality, especially your local Imam and groups of scholars. Seek advice and counsel from them and take their guidance;
- Attend the local circles of knowledge and any circles of remembrance to impact your heart into practicing the knowledge you learn;
- Seek forgiveness and repent unto Allah Most High when you slip up, as knowledge is light, and it only enters hearts who do not commit sin.
SeekersGuidance has a variety of inspiring curriculums and courses conducted by mindful and inspiring teachers worldwide; look into what might suit you and your time.
Allah Most High facilitates ease in seeking knowledge and opens up inspiring paths in your life in the future amin.
- How Do I Seek Knowledge?
- Knowledge: What, How and Why We Study
- Critical Issues Seminar: How Do I Seek Knowledge?
- The Intentions for Seeking Knowledge – Imam Abdullah al-Haddad
- The Way of The Seeker: How To Seek Islamic Knowledge Successfully
- How to Seek Islamic Knowledge – Imam Subki’s Counsel by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani [Video]
- Habib Ali al-Jifri: Advice for Seekers of Islamic Knowledge at SeekersGuidance [Video]
- Purification of the Heart for Youth: Diseases of the Heart and Their Cure [Video]
- The Path of Muhammad: Birgivi’s Manual of Taqwa Explained [Video]
- Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart [Book]
- Prayer of Repentance: Salat al-Tawba
Why not begin your search for knowledge by signing up for a course like the following:
- Islamic Studies Curriculum
- Youth Islamic Studies Curriculum
- How Islam Works: What is Religion, and How It Is Preserved, Transmitted, and Interpreted
I pray this helps with your question.
[Mawlana] Ilyas Patel
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
Mawlana Ilyas Patel is a traditionally-trained scholar who has studied in the UK, India, Pakistan, Syria, Jordan, and Turkey. He started his early education in the UK. He went on to complete the hifz of the Quran in India, then enrolled in an Islamic seminary in the UK, where he studied the secular and ‘Aalimiyya sciences. He then traveled to Karachi, Pakistan. He has been an Imam in Rep of Ireland for several years. He has taught hifz of the Quran, Tajwid, Fiqh, and many other Islamic sciences to children and adults onsite and online extensively in the UK and Ireland. He taught at a local Islamic seminary for 12 years in the UK, where he was a librarian and a teacher of Islamic sciences. He currently resides in the UK with his wife. His interest is a love of books and gardening.