Can One Marry Someone with Whom He Has Had a Child Out of Marriage?

Hanafi Fiqh

Answered by Mawlana Ilyas Patel


My question is, can a man marry a woman who had a child with him in a previous relationship (illegal relationship)?


In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate

I pray you are in good health and faith.

Yes, one can marry a woman with whom he has had a child out of marriage and wedlock.

If the adulterer marries a woman who is pregnant with him, a marital relationship is permissible with her, and he has to bear the expenses. [Ibn ’Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

Should I Marry Someone Who Has Committed Fornication in the Past?
Should I Tell My Prospects about My Past Fornication?
How Can I Deal with My Husband Who Never Forgave Me for Fornication?
Sincere Repentance from Zina

I pray this helps with your question.
[Mawlana] Ilyas Patel
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Mawlana Ilyas Patel is a traditionally-trained scholar who has studied within UK, India, Pakistan, Syria, Jordan, and Turkey. He started his early education in the UK. He went on to complete hifz of Quran in India, then enrolled into an Islamic seminary in UK where he studied the secular and ‘Aalimiyya sciences. He then traveled to Karachi, Pakistan. He has been an Imam in Rep of Ireland for a number of years. He has taught hifz of the Quran, Tajwid, Fiqh and many other Islamic sciences to both children and adults onsite and online extensively in UK and Ireland. He was teaching at a local Islamic seminary for 12 years in the UK where he was a librarian and a teacher of Islamic sciences. He currently resides in UK with his wife. His personal interest is love of books and gardening.