Letter to an Indian Prince

Are the Hadiths About India Authentic?

Answered by Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat

Question

Assalamu ‘alaykum.

I have heard in one of the hadith the Last Day will not come until India has been conquered by Muslims, or something similar to this. What does it mean, and is it authentic?

Answer

Wa ‘alaykum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh.

There are a few narrations regarding a military campaign against India. Only one is sound.

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and grant him peace) said, “Two particular groups from my followers have been kept from the Hellfire by Allah: a group who will fight against Hind (referring to the Indian subcontinent before the partition) and a group who will be with Jesus the son of Mary – upon both be peace.“ (Nasa’i) 

This is a rigorously authenticated narration, but it does not explicitly provide specific details of when these events will occur. 

There are a few other similarly worded narrations that are weak, but they have some more detail. 

Abu Hurayra (Allah be well pleased with him) said “The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) promised us a campaign to Hind. If were to be martyred I’d be of the best of martyrs, and if I were to return I’d be Abu Hurayra the Freed [from the Hellfire].“ (Ahmad) 

This and the other similar narrations are weak. We understand from them collectively that there will be a military campaign of the Muslims to that region when the major signs of the Day of Judgement will come to pass, close to the advent of Jesus (peace and blessings be on him) and that they will be victorious. As for the specifics, Allah knows best.

May Allah grant you the best of both worlds.

[Shaykh] Abdul-Rahim

Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Shaykh Abdul-Rahim Reasat began his studies in Arabic Grammar and Morphology in 2005. After graduating with a degree in English and History, he moved to Damascus in 2007, where, for 18 months, he studied with many erudite scholars. In late 2008 he moved to Amman, Jordan, where he continued his studies for the next six years in Sacred Law (fiqh), legal theory (Usul al-fiqh), theology, hadith methodology, hadith commentary, and Logic. He was also given licenses of mastery in the science of Quranic recital. He was able to study an extensive curriculum of Quranic sciences, tafsir, Arabic grammar, and Arabic eloquence.