Is There Zakat on White Gold?

Hanafi Fiqh

Answered by Mawlana Ilyas Patel


Is Zakat paid on the total weight of a jewelry item made of white gold due to being unable to ascertain the exact amount of gold used in such cases?


In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate.

I pray you are in good faith and health. Thank you for your question.

White gold is made up of a blend of pure yellow gold plus other precious metals like palladium, platinum, and silver. Therefore, white gold is like regular gold and is subject to Zakat.

The amount of Zakat payable would be calculated by multiplying the total weight of the jewelry by the price per gram of gold of that Karat.

For example, if one has an 18-karat white gold bangle weighing 50 grams, then 50 grams would be multiplied by the price of a gram of 18-karat gold.

Understanding “Karats”: How Much Pure Gold Is in Your White Gold Jewelry?

“Karats” tells you how much pure gold is contained in your jewelry item and how much is made of alloy metals. Karat is abbreviated by the letter K. For example, you might have seen jewelry items advertised as 9K gold or 18K gold. In the first example, 9K gold jewelry items contain 37.5% pure gold, and the rest are alloys like platinum, silver, and so on. On the other hand, 18K gold items have 75% pure gold, while the remaining 25% are alloys.

I would like you to go through the valuable answers and links below. You will receive guidance and direction in sha Allah.


Why not begin your search for knowledge by signing up for a course on SeekersGuidance?

I pray this helps with your question.
[Mawlana] Ilyas Patel
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Mawlana Ilyas Patel is a traditionally-trained scholar who has studied in the UK, India, Pakistan, Syria, Jordan, and Turkey. He started his early education in the UK. He went on to complete the hifz of the Quran in India, then enrolled in an Islamic seminary in the UK, where he studied the secular and ‘Aalimiyya sciences. He then traveled to Karachi, Pakistan. He has been an Imam in Rep of Ireland for several years. He has taught hifz of the Quran, Tajwid, Fiqh, and many other Islamic sciences to children and adults onsite and online extensively in the UK and Ireland. He taught at a local Islamic seminary for 12 years in the UK, where he was a librarian and a teacher of Islamic sciences. He currently resides in the UK with his wife. His interest is a love of books and gardening.