Do I Do Khatm, or Recite With Meaning in Ramadan?

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question

Do I do khatm, or recite with meaning in Ramadan?

Life presents many challenges that can be categorized as ‘either’ or ‘or.’ In worldly matters, we often strive to pursue both options. However, when it comes to religion, we tend to limit ourselves to choosing between one or the other. In contrast, that should have been our approach toward worldly affairs. We should make every effort to engage in a complete reading of the Quran, which is written in Arabic and holds great benefit. If reading it independently is challenging, we can recite what we can and listen to the rest.  Therefore, it is important to prioritize recitation and reading the Quran with translation to enhance our understanding. Striving to do both is crucial. It is said that a person will be rewarded according to their intention. The key to this lies in the words of our beloved Prophet (may Allah bless him and give him peace), who stated, “From the excellence of a person’s Islam is to leave what does not concern them.” We must make necessary adjustments by eliminating time-draining activities that do not benefit us, allowing us to focus on what truly matters.

Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, a distinguished scholar in the Islamic sciences, is the Founder and Executive Director of SeekersGuidance. He studied under renowned scholars globally for ten years, beginning in Damascus and continuing in Amman, Jordan. Notable mentors include Shaykh Adib al-Kallas and Shaykh Hassan al-Hindi. After completing his studies, Shaykh Faraz returned to Canada in 2007 and established SeekersGuidance, which is dedicated to spreading reliable, relevant, and inspiring Islamic knowledge online and on the ground.