What is the Punishment for Incest in Islam?

Answered by Ustadha Shazia Ahmad


I know a guy in college whose father came to him with the intention of incest. What punishment could he give him? How can my friend give kaffara? My friend has never committed incest with anyone before. He did admit that he touched a family member with the wrong intention.


Please see the following answer about the consequences of incest by Shaykh Amjad Rasheed:
Annulment of marriage based on incest

Your friend does not owe expiation (kaffara) for what was done to him, but I am concerned for his safety. It sounds like he is a victim of sexual abuse, and this can’t be ignored. If your friend is under 18 years old, he should call the police, and if he is older, he should leave the house and stay with a relative. He should tell his mother as well. Living with a predator and allowing this to happen again is not an option. He should also consult a school counselor or social worker to discuss his emotions.

If he himself touched a family member with some doubtful intentions, he should make tawba and never touch that person again until he feels that any incestual feelings are gone. May Allah purify us all and return to the fitra with which we were created.

The Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) said, “No child is born but upon Fitra. He then said, recite, ‘This is the natural disposition God instilled in mankind- there is no altering God’s creation- and this is the right religion, though most people do not realize it.‘“ [Quran, 30:30; Muslim]

[Ustadha] Shazia Ahmad
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Ustadha Shazia Ahmad lived in Damascus, Syria for two years where she studied aqida, fiqh, tajweed, tafsir, and Arabic. She then attended the University of Texas at Austin, where she completed her Masters in Arabic. Afterward, she moved to Amman, Jordan where she studied fiqh, Arabic, and other sciences. She later moved back to Mississauga, Canada, where she lives with her family.