Answered by Ustadha Shazia Ahmad
So I asked a question about how to not have physical contact with my male friends, one of them being gay, and Ustadha Shazia Ahmad said I should get rid of his company because he is committing a sin. I’ve tried to talk to him less but we still have two classes together.
I was hoping you could give me some advice on how to get rid of his company?
Thank you for your question. May Allah reward you for wanting to better your company solely for the sake of Allah.
Here are a few tips on how to unfriend someone in real life, and not just on social media!
- Just talk to him less, and keep it that way
- When he wants to hang out, don’t be available and find others to hang out with
- If he brings it up, tell him that your parents are not really allowing you to mix with people of his sexual orientation
- Tell them that you are dissociating yourself from all guys, not just him
- Ask Allah to send you true friends who only help you and encourage you to goodness and who are role models for you
- Ask him not to take it personally, you are just taking care of your mental and spiritual health
- and most importantly, ask Allah to make it easy, and soon you will find that all of your friends are good, decent Muslim girls, who will be your friends until the end, by His grace.
May Allah give you the best of this world and the next.
[Ustadha] Shazia Ahmad
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
Ustadha Shazia Ahmad lived in Damascus, Syria for two years where she studied aqidah, fiqh, tajweed, tafsir, and Arabic. She then attended the University of Texas at Austin, where she completed her Masters in Arabic. Afterward, she moved to Amman, Jordan where she studied fiqh, Arabic, and other sciences. She later moved back to Mississauga, Canada, where she lives with her family.