Answered by Ustadha Rahma Ahmed
I am a young girl who is very sensitive. I always have negative thoughts about my parents dying. Also, these days I am questioning Allah. I feel I will convert to Hinduism…These are just thoughts. How to overcome them?
I pray this reaches you in good health and faith.
May Allah Most High grant you and your loved one’s health and safety, amin.
The Nature of Human Thoughts
Our thoughts and inclinations are not born in a vacuum. When they are dark or evil, they are often direct satanic whisperings. We are then tricked into believing they are from ourselves, and these disturbing thoughts are sent into our hearts in the form of impulses.
It is important to remember that these ideas are not yours and cannot hurt you unless you adopt and accept them as your own.
Allah The Exalted says in the Quran,
“Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,
The King of mankind,
The God of mankind,
From the evil of the sneaking whisperer,
Who whispers in the hearts of mankind” [Quran, Sura 114]
The Devil Is Our Enemy
“Lo! The devil is an enemy for you, so treat him as an enemy,” [Quran, 35:6]
The devil (shaytaan) is mankind’s sworn enemy, as Allah Most High tells us in the Qur’an. After straying from Allah Most High’s pleasure and subsequently being cast out of Divine favour, he vowed that he would lead mankind astray. He is envious of the son of Adam for their potential to do good works and reach Allah. Therefore, shaytaan is untiring in his efforts to prevent us from reaching high stations of proximity to our Lord.
He influences people by whispering evil thoughts into our hearts. We hear these suggestions, and have at this point the choice to reject them completely. If we linger on them until they become our own thoughts, they then lead to determination, and finally to action.
Build Your Fortress
The remedy is to immediately seek refuge in Allah The Exalted from shaytaan with a sincere heart.
1. Do not let the thoughts grow; Rather, seek refuge in Allah by saying “Audhu billahi min al-shaytaan al-rajeem (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed devil).”
This is your weapon against the weak whisperings of the devil. He has no real power or influence, and you should pay him no attention.
2. Express your need of your Lord, and thank Him incessantly for the gifts of faith and guidance.
3. Read Prophetic invocations concerning protection against evil and shaytaan on a daily basis.
4. Remove any harmful influences in your life which might trigger or support the thoughts you’re having.
5. The holy Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) was always positive and full of hope in His Lord. Adopt his ways, and remain hopeful of Allah’s reward.
May Allah Most High take us all by the hand and give us success, amin.
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani