Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
Question: Is the evil eye real? How does one avoid it?
Answer: Walaikum assalam,
The evil eye is a reality. It can be powerful. Qadi Abu Bakr Ibn al-Arabi al-Maliki and others explain that it is from Allah s Will that sometimes He creates harmful effects from the evil or jealous glances and looks of others.
However, one can ward off normal problems if one protects oneself with the medicines of the sunna of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace).
1. One should always recite the 3 Quls (Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad, Falaq, and Naas) every morning and every night, ideally 3 times. It is also ideal to say them once after every prayer. This should be done with presence of heart and mind.
2. One should do likewise with Ayat al-Kursi: recite it every morning and night, and ideally after every prayer. With that, one should reflect on the tremendous meanings of this verse.
3. Both of the above should be done before sleep, as well.
4. One should constantly supplicate (dua) to Allah to protect one from the evil eye. There have been prophetic supplications transmitted by Bukhari, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Ahmad, and others, such as:
أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللَّهِ التَّامَّةِ مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْطَانٍ وَهَامَّةٍ وَمِنْ كُلِّ عَيْنٍ لَامَّةٍ
a`udhu bi kalimaatillahi ttaammati min kulli shaytaanin wa haamma wa min kulli `aynin laamma
(I seek refuge in Allah most perfect words from every devil, harmful thing, and accusing eye. )
5. One should try to supplicate before all major acts, asking Allah to give one success (tawfiq), sincerity (ikhlas), and make the action a means of attaining unto the love and good pleasure (rida) of Allah Most High.
Sayyidi Abd al-Ghani al-Nabulsi said:
كُنْ مَعَ الله *** تَرَ اللهَ مَعَك
Be with Allah
You will find Allah with you.
Be with Allah by turning to Him in all your affairs, by obeying His commands out of love, thankfulness and true servanthood, You will find Allah with you, for He is “closer to you than your jugular vein,” and He does not let the efforts of those who seek Him go to waste.