Answered by SeekersGuidance Answers Service
Question: Assalam alaykum
Can I take notes during my Tafsir class when on my period?
Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,
I pray that you are in the best of health and faith, insha’Allah.
In the Hanafi madhhab, it is prohibited to actually touch the mushaf (bound Arabic Quran), including its insides, its page margins and its cover (if it is attached to the mushaf). It is also prohibited to recite the Quran, which means to move one’s lips while producing sound. [ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar] It is sinful to touch a translation or a tafsir of the Quran while menstruating.
It is permissible to read the Arabic script or its translation with her eyes, such as on a computer screen or other electronic devices. [ibn Abidin, Manhal al-Waridin] She can also read the Quran in her heart.
But it is allowed to write Qur’anic verses when on one’s period. However, one cannot touch the Qur’anic verses themselves without a barrier (such as a cloth). [Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]
A menstruating woman can:
1) Listen to the Quran, ponder about its meanings, and cry.
2) Buy a supplication book and make constant dhikr.
3) Send blessings on our beloved Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace).
4) Spend time with her family and loved ones for the sake of Allah.
5) Attend religious lectures and classes.
6) Read about the righteous and pray to be of them.
7) Supplicate for whatever she wishes.
8 ) Beg for forgiveness and the pardon of her sins.
9) Get involved in her local community and help others.
10) Reflect about her life and thank Allah for all her blessings.
Though these acts may seem simplistic, no one knows how Allah will weigh one’s works on the Day of Judgment. Surely, a deed that is done with an open heart and presence of mind for WHO one is worshipping is most deserving of reward.
And Allah alone gives success.
SeekersGuidance Answers Service
Checked & Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani