Answered by Imam Yama Niazi
Why should we learn about the lives of the Companions?
I pray you are doing well.
Learning about the companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is recommended. It is not an obligation.
The reasons are many but here are just a few reasons.
1) It will help us connect to them and increase our love for them.
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) loved them, and even Allah loves them and is well pleased with them.
Allah says in the Quran, “Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him…” [Quran, 98:8]
2) The companions of the Prophet were blessed to observe the practice of the Prophet directly, so they were able to embody and practice the faith to perfection.
3) The Prophet [peace and blessings be upon him] said, “The best generation is my generation and then those who follow them and those who follow them…” [Muslim]
4) No one followed the true teachings of Islam better than that generation. Therefore learning about their lives and their characteristic traits will increase our connection to Allah and become pious.
5) Their lives were also lessons for us and a source of guidance.
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “It is incumbent upon you to follow my sunna and the sunna of the rightly guided caliphs after me. Cling to [the sunna] by your very back molar teeth.” [Abu Dawud]
There are many more reasons, but the above may suffice.
The Struggle and Strife Of A Believer’s Life
Allah knows best,
[Imam] Yama Niazi
Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
Imam Yama Niazi has studied with local scholars in the USA for a number of years which culminated in him becoming an imam of the Islamic Society of Santa Barbara for 8 years. He served the community by teaching and leading prayers. In 2015 he founded “ the blessed tree “ a nonprofit specifically for bridging gaps between the Muslim community and others. He has spoken on many Muslim platforms throughout the USA and Canada and conducted programs in local communities in North America. He is an instructor at SeekersGuidance.